This month, Remedi Electronic Commerce Group is celebrating 20 years! As in any anniversary, it is fun to look back to see what movies and TV shows were popular, and how much gas prices were ($1.09/gallon by the way). I took a look back to 1994 to find "new emerging technologies" from 20 years ago and a funny YouTube infomercial video called “High-Tech Office”.
"Emerging Technology" in 1994:
- Vice President Al Gore makes a speech where he coins the term "Information Superhighway".
- IBM releases OS/2 Warp.
- VESA Local Bus 2.0 is released.
- 3DFX is founded.
- Iomega releases its Zip disk drive and diskettes.
- Red Hat Linux is founded.
- The World Wide Web Consortium is founded by Tim Bernes-Lee.
- Microsoft releases its beta for Windows 95, code named Chicago.
- Rasmus Lerdorf creates PHP.
- Hotwired.com runs the Internets first banner ad.
- A mathematical flaw in the Intel Pentium involving the Pentium not correctly performing floating-point calculations is discovered.
- Later this leads to Intel millions of processors.
- YAHOO is created in April, 1994.
- MS-DOS 6.22 was released April, 1994
- ANSI approves the ATA standard May 12, 1994.
This month, Remedi will be celebrating its 20 year anniversary. We are very excited and proud to have achieved this milestone. I’ve been with Remedi for 7 years now and I’m looking forward to our next 20 years.
Don't miss our next series - "Upgrade Paths for Sun Setting Products" - Check back to our blogs or subscribe for our email updates!